The Hibernian Miscellany

Competence(n.):is the ability to perform some task. Incompetence is its opposite. Competency means a sufficiency of means for the useless necessities and conveniences in life.

Name:
Location: Dublin, Ireland

Monday, January 16, 2006

To bet or not to bet..

Over the weekend as my better half lay half asleep on our living room couch as I watched the washington Redskins take on The Seattle Seahawks in the NFl divisional playoffs I began to realise that I may be the cause of ending the underdogs run to the Superbowl.

You see I had backed them at 40/1 to win the Superbowl. The kiss of death.

The girl torn between sleep and sarcasm on the couch, was muttering comments at my frustrated gesturing in our living room. Comments like, "I would have called the manager and told him not to send the team out if you had've told me you were betting on them" and "Do us a favour Derek, go down to the bookie and ask him will he take a bet on my pay rise being less than 20 per cent this year will ya". I begin to take stock of my awful betting history.

Now I know everyone says this. But me. I have a list below of the most unlikely overturning of sure things in recent history.

1. Barcelona to beat Chelsea in The Champions League last year.
The Spanish were 2-1 up from the first leg and the best team in Europe. Ronaldinho was on FIRE. They came to Stamford Bridge full of life and full of confidence. Chelsea didn't look like they could take the step up.
Final Result Chelsea win 5-4 on aggregate.

2. AC Milan to beat Liverpool in The Champions League Final.
The Italians were 3-0 up at half time and with the meanest defence in the world. Celebratory beers and premature counting of winnings was short lived as Liverpool clawed back to 3-3 and won the game on penalties.

3. OJ Simpson to be found guilty.
OJ owes me his freedom as I, like every sane person in the free world believed he was as guilty as sin. However, by betting on this outcome I ensured his acquittal.

4. Al Gore to win the US Presidential election in 2000
You can say what you want about Florida and Jed Bush and missing votes. I did it, and I apologise to the entire USA for my meddling in their political affairs. Michael Moore owes me his career because I backed Gore to beat Bush.

I also backed Mike Tyson to beat Buster Douglas, France to beat Senegal in the opening game of the 2002 world cup, Liverpool to beat Wimbledon in the 1988 FA Cup, and France to beat Greece in the 2004 European Championships.

I now, never, bet on Manchester United games, and continually back England to win, as I did against Northern Ireland recently, now that was ten euro well spent....

1 Comments:

Blogger Derek Keogh said...

Like I said before Paul, I'm real Sorry about the Bush thing. Whoever gets the Republican Party vote for the next election I'm gonna bet on, until then you'll have to keep faith in my 'massive heart attack' bet....

4:05 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home