The Hibernian Miscellany

Competence(n.):is the ability to perform some task. Incompetence is its opposite. Competency means a sufficiency of means for the useless necessities and conveniences in life.

Name:
Location: Dublin, Ireland

Friday, January 20, 2006

I have many many CD's. I have the age old problem of storage and the new problem of miniaturisation. The mp3 has presented itself as a theoretical solution to this problem. But it's not for me. You see I like the whole package. I like the Friday afternoon trip to the record store on the way home. The Friday 'new release' day ritual (we get CD's in Ireland on the Friday before they are released anywhere else in the world, the UK only get them the following Monday whilst USA gets em on a Tuesday. I don't know why this is, but I'm not complaining!). Sitting at a desk and downloading the record from Itunes doesn't have that same "CD in the bag with till receipt" feeling.

So I won't be buying my music digitally

Ergo, my storage problem. I have converted the garage on my house into a second living room. It houses the music and the good stereo. The music is divided into CD's and records, but the shelves are full. The flatpacked racks are bursting at the seams so I'm going to have to cull the display stands.

So who doesn't make the cut?

I started by attempting to cull the records that I haven't listened to in a while. But that just went tits up. I found myself rediscovering records I hadn't played in ages and spent the evening listening to them. It had the reverse of the desired effect, making the cull more difficult.

I ended up with four Cd's and one record that were moved to a drawer. They were, Neil Young "Trans", Gillian Welch "Time - The Revelator", Oasis - "Standing on the shoulders of Giants" and Son Volt "Trace". I never cared for any of these records and bought them only on reputation.

The only vinyl to make the bottom drawer was "The Freewheelin' Bob Dylan", the album hasn't even got the right tracks on it, there's no 'Masters of War' or 'Talkin World War 3 Blues' instead there's some anti John Birch song on it....

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home